- 3/4 cup reduced fat milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon whole nutmegs (grated)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 8 ounces french bread (diagonally cut day-old, about 1 inch thick)
- 2 cups strawberries (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons grated orange
- 4 teaspoons butter (divided)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
How to cook:
- Combine milk, 1 tablespoon sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, salt, and eggs in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Place bread slices in a 13 x 9–inch baking dish; pour egg mixture over bread; turn to coat. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until egg is absorbed.
- Combine strawberries, remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, and rind in a small bowl. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Melt 2 teaspoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 bread slices to pan; cook 3 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat procedure with remaining butter and bread.
- Place 2 bread slices on each of 4 plates. Sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered sugar; top each with 1/2 cup strawberry mixture.