Though the use of cheddar cheese with risotto might seem a bit odd to purists, it works perfectly as the sharp bite of the cheddar and the starch of the rice balance each other out. Whip this hearty dish up for a full-on meal for two or for a starter course for a group of four to four. It is one of the best ways to add cheddar cheese into an Italian style recipe.
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 finely sliced leeks
- 1 ½ cups risotto rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. chopped chives
Yield: 2 to 4 servings
1. In medium-sized pan, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add sliced leeks and cook until soft.
2. Add risotto rice and stir for a minute. Turn heat up to medium high and add white wine and mustard. Stir until the wine is absorbed.
3. Ladle in the hot vegetable stock. Stir in each ladleful until it is absorbed before adding the next one.
4. Continue stirring and ladling rice for approximately 18 minutes or until rice is al dente. Add the cheese and stir rice until cheese.
5. Take the pan from the heat. Continue stirring as you spoon the warm risotto onto dishes. Sprinkle each with chopped fresh chives. Serve.
If you’re unsure what to make for your next meal, why not consider this savory cheddar cheese risotto? It is the perfect dish for cheese lovers and only takes twenty to thirty minutes to prepare.