- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups seafood stock or shrimp stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, in thick puree
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Dash hot sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds large shrimp (about 32), shelled and deveined
- 4 tablespoons green onions, sliced for garnish
- Heat a large heavy Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add oil. Cook garlic, onions, celery, and green bell peppers.
- Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cayenne and let caramelize.
- Add the seafood stock, tomatoes, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook about 4 more minutes, until they are bright pink and cooked through.
- Garnish with green onions.
Total: 1 hr
Prep: 5 min
Cook: 55 min
Yield: 4 to 6 servings