Grilled cheese sandwiches are awesome no matter how you make them. That’s the plain and simple of it. But standard old grilled cheese sandwiches – bread, butter, and cheese, you know the routine – can get old fast. That’s when these Middle Eastern grilled cheese sandwiches come in handy. They put a whole different twist on the age old comfort food. Follow the recipe discussed below for a gooey yet crunchy treat!
- 1 pita pocket
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tsp. zatar (zatar is an authentic Middle Eastern spice that can be found in specialty stores)
- ½ tbsp. butter
Yield: One sandwich, increase (double or triple) ingredients for more
1. Open up the pita pocket taking care not to tear it. Sprinkled shredded cheddar cheese inside.
2. Add feta cheese and sprinkle zatar inside of pita pocket.
3. Heat butter in a medium sized skillet at medium low heat. Close pita pocket and place sandwich in skillet. Cook for a minute or two until golden.
4. Turn sandwich over to other side and let cook for another minute or two. Serve.
As you can see, a Middle Eastern style grilled cheese sandwich is much the same as its traditional counterpart. However, it adds a whole new dimension of flavor to the sandwich and will keep things from getting boring. Better yet, the dish is incredibly easy to make – it only takes about 10 minutes to whip up – and even the pickiest of eaters are sure to love them!