You may be the sort of woman who strives to be in control of every situation, but that can all change when you suddenly find yourself faced with a first date. Your usual calm and controlled manner could soon disappear, leaving you with sweaty palms and butterflies in your stomach. Well, fear not, as the following tips will help you to cruise through your first date and hopefully move onto a second.
- Don’t Dress to Kill – It’s fine to dress up, but don’t wear clothing that is so tight that it nearly cuts off your circulation. You will need to be able to sit, talk, and eat in comfort without feeling as if you are about to explode. You will also need to think about your footwear, as it is no use wearing high heels that you can barely walk in and end up falling flat on your face in front of your date.
- Don’t Be Late – If you’ve agreed a time to meet up somewhere, make sure you don’t arrive late. If you’re being picked up from your home, be ready at least ten minutes before in case your date arrives early.
- Be Yourself – This might sound like an old cliché, but it is important. If you go through your first date saying and doing all the things you think your date will want to hear, then cracks will soon begin to appear if you go on any further dates with that person. So, if your date tells you that they love seafood and you hate it with a passion, make sure you tell them before you find yourself sitting in front of a plate of oysters.
- Switch Off Your Phone – People are continually on their cellphones these days, but this is something you should avoid on your first date. Remember to switch off your phone as soon as your date arrives so that you can engage in stimulating conversation.
- Be Attentive – Try to refrain from talking about yourself all the time. You must show interest in your date by looking at them when they are talking to you and finding out what they like to do in their spare time. It is also a nice touch to compliment your date in some way by saying that you love their hair or the clothes they are wearing.
- Don’t Mention Previous Dates – This is a subject to steer well clear of on a first date, as no one wants to hear about how many good and bad first dates you’ve had in the past. You should also avoid talking about any previous long-term relationships.
- Don’t Get Drunk – There is obviously nothing wrong with having a few drinks, but don’t overdo it. You don’t want to wake up the next morning to find out that your date had to end up dragging you out of the restaurant or bar and taking you home.
- Offer to Pay Your Way – If you go out for a meal with your date, always offer to pay for your meal. You should never presume that because your date asked you out that they should pick up the bill at the end of the evening. It is important to let your date know that you are prepared to pay your way.
- Don’t Take Yourself Too Seriously – This is an important point and can help to make you feel more relaxed during your date. If you say or do anything stupid, then it is better to be able to laugh at it instead of getting stressed over it.
- Play it Cool After the Date – It is fine to text your date the following day to say that you had a great time and that it would be fun to do it again, but don’t overdo it. Continually texting or calling your date after the event may make you appear too keen, and this may put your date off.
Hopefully, the above tips will help you to enjoy your first date as much as possible by helping you to feel in control. Practicing a few relaxation techniques before you go on your date may also help you to remain calm.