The 17th annual Athens Xclusive Designers Week is an annual showcase of Greek and international fashion brands. Kreol reviews this year’s event.
Between 28th and 30th March 2015, London, Paris, and New York have nothing on Athens, Greece. The annual Athens Xclusive Designers Week (AXDW) fashion show was held at the Ethniki Asfalistiki Conference Centre for a 17th consecutive year. The showcase provided a platform for international brands and Greek designers alike to introduce the world to the latest trends in the world of fashion.
AXDW is, at heart, a launching pad for Greek designers. The express purpose of the annual event is to support Greek designers by introducing their brands not only to the local population in attendance, but also to designers from fashion houses around the globe. In 2015, AXDW hosted 31 different brands from Greece and the international industry. Among the highlights of the weekend were new collections introduced by the following designers:
- Eleni Kyriacou: A native of Cyprus, she unveiled a new Fall/Winter collection for 2015/2016 that was inspired by recent archaeological discoveries made at Amphipolis. The primary inspiration in her collection was that of a woman sphinx.
- Marks & Spencer: The international brand presented a brand-new combination of textures and patterns, consisting of denim, shades of blue, stripes, and boho creations, that was labeled “thoroughly sloppy” elegance.
- Miltos: A returning brand at AXDW, Miltos unveiled timeless chic creations with feminine lines and a romantic feeling.
- Konstantinos Mitrovgenis: A newcomer at AXDW, he presented a collection that was altogether unique, thanks, in large part to its inspiration: the mathematical constant pi, whose symbol is “π.”
Each year, the second day of AXDW is dedicated to the presentation of the New Designers Awards. For the past eight years, the awards ceremony highlights the new designers, in three categories: Best Designer, Best Trendsetter, and Best Catwalk. A total of 12 new designers were present at the 17th annual AXDW showcase, unveiling 16 new collections, and competing for the three honors. By the end of Sunday, the awards had been presented to the following designers:
- Best New Designer: Dimitris Ordoulidis
- Best Trendsetter: MK by Marios
- Best Catwalk: Tryfonas Modestou
Elegant and inspiring fashion is nothing without the proper accessories to tie a piece together, and for the first time at AXDW Greek designers were given a chance to shine the spotlight on accessories. As part of the Xclusive Summer Elements, local Greek designers presented accessories alongside new fashion lines for Spring/Summer 2015 collections.
All parts of the AXDW showcase are designed to increase exposure for Greek designers. With media outlets from around the globe, public guests from across Europe, and industry figureheads present, AXDW once again provided an excellent opportunity for fashion designers and the public to mingle.
Always looking toward the future of fashion and next year’s AXDW, the Fashion Design Project prepared guests for upcoming fashion trends. Occurring over the course of the entire showcase, the Fashion Design Project was an open design competition that provided up-and-coming talent a chance to showcase designs to be voted upon by the public via Facebook.
With the support of its official sponsor, Syoss, the 17 th annual Athens Xclusive Designers Week was a smashing success. Those in attendance had the chance to see for the first time some of the latest fashion trends, and were left with a sense of anticipation for next year’s AXDW.